Location: Sapa Ancient Rock Field is in Muong Hoa Valley, Hau Thao Commune, Sapa District, Lao Cai Province.
Characteristic: This 8sq.km-area of remains consists of large multi-grade rocks engraved with ancient images.
Sapa Ancient Rock Field is between the terraced rice paddies of ethnic minority groups. The first exploration research, in 1925, recorded that there were 200 stones of various dimensions concentrated in the area. Hon Bo, which is 15m long and 6m high, is the biggest of theses rocks. The engravings on the surfaces of the stone are either pictographic or decorative. Remarkably, among the engravings are drawings of humans, stilt-houses of the ethnic minorities and symbols believed to be a primitive form of writing. But their meaning has not yet been deciphered.
In addition, impressive images include a da chong (the husband stone), da vo (the wife stone), as well as stones that look like tigers and a stela with an incantation written on it by the carver to help his people defeat the tigers. The da chong and da vo tell the story of faithful love between a couple who overcame all difficulties to be together; even though they turned to stone, they are still dedicated to each other.
Archaeologists have proven that this area has been inhabited since ancient times. These fascinating Viet remains have drawn the attention of scientists and tourists.
- Tram Ton Pass
- Ta Van Village – A pure gem of Sapa
- The Nung and Tu Si house with tranditional baked clay roof tiles
- Beauty of mist in Ham Rong Mount
- Church singing in early spring in Ta Phin
- Sour noodle soup – Upland unique cuisine in Sapa
- Story about unique horse-drawn carriage in Bac Ha
- Bird Market in Muong Khuong village
- Plum flowers blossom in Bac Ha during February.
- Sapa Pau Play Day Cake
- Salmon in Sapa
- Bamboo cooked rice